R Owton (Wholesale Butchers) Ltd appointed us to make a detailed application for a new butchery on their land at Chalcroft Farm, Horton Heath. The Owton family have been farming on Chalcroft Farm for over 600 years with the earliest known records dating back to 1257. Founded in 1976 at Chalcroft Farm, Owton’s Traditional Family Butchers has established itself as one of the premier wholesale butchers and farm shop proprietors in the country. Today retail sales include shops at Kimbridge in Romsey and Garsons in Titchfield.
The design allows for the complete business operation from the delivery of meat carcasses via the loading dock or boxed meats through the deliver bay, through the cutting and meat preparation and production areas, to the packaging and distribution functions. It also allows for staff and visitors to enter, circulate around and use the building in a manner that meets the strict requirements set down by the Foods Standards Agency. The building is sensitively designed to ensure that any visual impact is minimised and that it sits comfortably within the surrounding landscape. This will be achieved through the following key design principles;
• Ensuring a compact development of one individual unit for the butchery
• Incorporating SUDS and landscaping within the site to screen the development, provide sustainable drainage and for habitat creation
• Provide suitable and safe access for all users including service vehicles, staff and visitors both by car and on foot
• Use of high quality materials for buildings and surface treatments
• Mature trees along the boundaries of the site will be retained where possible and new trees planted to screen the development.